Saturday, February 6, 2010

Thunder Snow

is a rare weather event where lightning and thunder happen in the middle of a snow storm. Most people, who are in a climate that gets snow, live their entire lives without experiencing thunder snow. I learned about it when I was 19 and taking a physical geography class and we had to learn about weird weather etc. At the time, the prof. (a well known geologist also married to a well known geologist who co-authored many textbooks on the subject) talked of how she'd experienced thunder snow once in her life and upon going to conventions with other people in the field, had only met a handful of people who'd experienced it.

Tonight, I'm sitting here in the middle of a blizzard and it just started to THUNDER SNOW. It's flashing and roaring out there like it does in July when we get a massive thunder storm, only we're getting 6 feet of snow, not a few inches of rain. The events that need to happen to create thunder and lightning usually counter-act the events that need to happen for it to snow, so this really is an opposites attract moment. My family is sleeping and missing something that will probably never happen again in their lives. (not that they care that they're missing it). Me? I'm glad I remembered what thunder snow is and that I get to experience some truly oddball weather.

6 comments:

  1. Tulsa had it back in December, and my sister took to calling it "The Great Thunder-Snow of Aught-nine."



    VQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. verb, it took it long enough to make it to Baltimore from Tulsa huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of thunder snow. thanks for the info. I learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have experienced this in my life a few times. wisconsin has weird weather.
    one time we were in a restaurant and it was raining outside on one side of the restaurant and not the other. i ran outside and stood in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. spidey, we've had that a few times this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old weather lore: a day with Thunder in February means that same date in April will be cold!

    ReplyDelete