Monday, February 8, 2010

sore

it's one am and i'm too sore to sleep, so this may or may not make any sense. It took 4 people over 12 hours to shovel our driveway and cars out from the several feet of snow we got from fiday to saturday evening. Our street is a side street and ends with a dead end, so we don't get plowed by the county. EVER. At the start of the street is a business where they own and operate a plow (well and other equipment too but the plow is the important part to this story) to maintain the cemeteries we live in the middle of. Everyone at my house and so0me of the people on our street were in the road shoveling the street clear when the plow man went in and out of the cemetery entrance near my house about three times. There are several enterances and exits to accomodate high traffic. Plowman smiled and waived at us each time he drove past looking amused at the 10 plus people and several children clearning the street by hand. One neighbor became angry at his happy little waive and yelled at the plow man each time he drove past. After a few rounds of this, the plow man gave in and plowed our street a few times until it was drivable. It's important to note that when the snowfall is taller than a corolla, one shouldn't attempt to drive said corolla without making sure the snow is clared away. I was so happy the man plowed for us, my arms were about to fall off. We were all going to pay the man, but he didn't want any money, the dear man. Earlier in the year I thought of sending a note to the maintenance company to see if we could take a collection up on the street to pay for them to clear our street every time it snows, since the county will never salt or plow it. We'd be plowed, they'd get some extra cash: everyone's happy. However, after a neighbor told me why we no longer have block parties, I was discouraged from asking my neighbors to rally together to get our street plowed. I was going to make a snazzy flier and go door-to-door and everything. c'est la vie. I do feel bad for the houses further down towards the dead end than mine is because the plow man started at our house and plowed to the road, ignoring the second half of the street. None of those people were out shoveling their drives or patch of road in front, so i guess he thought they didn't want to be cleared out that bad.

In the end, we're expecting as much as 6" on tuesday/wednesday, so we're going to be out there again. I hope the snowplowman remembers us and still loves us and runs his plow again. I was very worried that another house on the street would burn down, or my neighbor who is dying of cancer would need to get to the hospital. We were cut off from all emergency services and it wasn't a good feeling. We were lucky because my guy's parents lost heat, power and water for a few days. Luckily they kept their gas stove and didn't switch to electric and had wood for their fireplace handy, so they were able to cook and stay warm. This is why people move to Floridia.

1 comment:

  1. whenever I mention how I miss seeing snow TH says he doesn't that's why he lives in Florida.I'm from the North and he's from the South. He's seen snow while visiting. I lived in it before.

    Took the plowman long enough to be kind.I'm a nice person and would've volunteered before then.

    ReplyDelete