Thursday, January 28, 2010

Beware of the Brown Juice

wednesday night i went to an open house at a school i'm interested in sending mandolin to. it's k-8 and looks good. she's 28 months, but some schools require you apply at 3 for a placement at 5, so it's best to look now, plus, it doesn't hurt to start saving now for the tuition, book fees, before and after care fees and uniform fees. I know it seems hypocritical, two public school educators sending their child to a private school, but our local school system is broken seemingly beyond repair. children are murdered in these schools and teachers beat up with little response from the government, and i just don't want to send my baby girl there. I took my best friend V on the tour with me. She went to a private school similar to this one, so she was a good set of eyes to have along. At one point I asked about hot lunch. My friend V explained to me that private schools don't have hot lunch, duh! I explained to her that some private schools do have hot lunch and promised to tell her my hot lunch story later on after the tour. Mandolin liked the place, and i liked it and it's very affordable at around $510 a month for 10 months.

Here's my hot lunch story:

I used to attend a specific UMC church that operated a school. The UMC women rule the church, and the biggest baddest UMC woman is THE BOSS of the UMC kitchen, it's like being THE QUEEN of the church. I, being under 60, was a lowly grunt in the UMC women, and a nobody in the kitch. I was okay with this, because it's stupid to fight over a kitchen. As I stated, this church ran a school and also had a summer school program. The UMC women provided hot lunch to people who paid for it ahead and snacks. One day I was helping with lunch and then going to teach some art stuff afterwards when a little girl in the 3-5 range called me over. "miss! miss!" she shouted. "yes?" I said. "I don't like the brown grape juice, it hurts my tummy." she explained. I'd never heard of brown grape juice and was worried it was spoiled, so I took a sip. those old broards were giving 3-year-olds prune juice. No wonder their stomachs were sore, mine would be errupting after that too. Most of them didn't make it through recess.

2 comments:

  1. We had hot lunch when I went to Catholic school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so interesting... One of the best breakfast I can recall having as a child was stewed prunes in cream. We used to have it quite often and I can remember Mom boiling the prunes then letting them sit and plump up. These were not those namby pamby pitted ones either. You had to manipulate each prune to get all the good stuff off the pit before you delicately extricated it from your mouth onto your spoon and set it on the plate under your bowl of deliciousness.

    As I recall though my parents were very bowel conscious They must have read something in Prevention Magazine.

    ReplyDelete