Saturday, December 5, 2009

Early Saturday Stuff

Doreen, my voice is unique because I sound like a 10-year-old. A few shelf websites ago, Allan needed help posting pics and I said I'd help him out. In the process, he ended up calling me and the first thing he said was "Holy shit, are you the FBI? I'm not a pervert, I swear." Allan sounds like a very old extra-jewish Mel Brooks, if you can imagine it. Bert said I sound like a kid on the phone when we talked that one time. Telemarketers and other bothersome phone people quite often ask to speak to my mommy when I asnwer. I haven't taked to one in awhile though because Mandolin likes to talk to them, so I just put her on. You'd be surprised at how long they'll sit there and talk to her.

On thursday night I was doing a workout tape and everyone did 30 crunches. I, being stupid, thought "we can do 20 more for a good 50." I shouldn't listen to myself. I am sore today and it hurts my middle to bend over. It's been awful all day and is the reason that it's almost 1:30 am on Saturday and I'm not asleep.

Saturday the 5th is my mom's annual birthday party/cookie swap. I still haven't talked to my mother since around Feb. Well, we did talk that one time, but that made it worse, so it doesn't count. I got the invitation for the party on Wednesday for Saturday. What else should I expect? After the whole Thanksgiving thing, I truly thought that an RSVP wasn't needed, afterall, they were going to let me cook $300 worth of food and two meals and not show up without a call, why should I RSVP a stupid cookie swap where I won't be able to eat anything anyway? I was in the middle of making diet cookies when my older sister left me a nasty message about not calling to RSVP. I almost said "fuck it" and not go. However, my mother is still very ill, and if this were her last birthday (which is highly possible at this point), I'd feel bad for blowing it off. So, even though we're not talking, I'm going to go. I do have a few words I want to say to my sisters.

After much debate, I have decided not to see my family for Christmas, but make the trip a week or so after. My guy was raised spending Christmas Eve driving 7 hours to visit one set of grandparents, having christmas there, and then driving another 9 hours to visit grandparents 2, having christmas there and then driving home. What a crappy winter break from school. Because of this, he likes to get up at 4am Christmas day, drive a few hours to my parents, have one christmas and then drive a few hours in the other direction to see his parents, have christmas two and then come home, to our friends and have christmas three. I'm just not up to it anymore and that's that. Yes it's nice to honor the older people by visiting them, but they don't have a baby to wrangle and aren't old enough to obsess over "price is right" and "matlock."
Nothing is keeping them from coming here.

A few months ago we went to my guy's parent's home. My guy's momma is a hoarder, just like in the TV show. It's dangerous to move about in her house because piles of stuff are constantly falling and it's hard to walk around. On our last visit, the FIL didn't watch Mandolin as he was supposed to, and she was injured. It was a minor injury, but it happened. I made the executive decision that we wouldn't be going back there until the home is clean (so after the MIL is dead or in a home). Before my guy was 5, he suffered from several broken bones and a few trips to Childrne's for poisioning from the combination of my FIL's inability to watch young children, and his momma's hoarding. If my kid gets a broken bone, it won't be because of those two things.

This year, we're having a tree, presents and dinner here with the people that really matter. His parents can visit that day if they want food and family. I'm not driving out to the foothills of Appalachia to see my kin until around New Year's because it really isn't worth the bother.

3 comments:

  1. I have always felt that part of the deal with getting married and starting a family is start new traditions as well. So I say more power to you for choosing your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I think your life can't surprise me anymore, you come up with a hoarder MIL and a FIL with paying-attention issues...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jilly, I've been watching that Hoarders show. The ones that upset me most have lots of dead cats.

    ReplyDelete