Wednesday, December 23, 2009

stuffing gone wild

The turtle took about 2 hours. The assembly was hard because the assebly instructions were a cop out. I don't understand giving exact details and tips on how to make the parts and then writing two sentences about stuffing and filling. I made mine in different colors and put a large lip around the schell, because that's how i like my turtles. I have now gone back to lions brand and downloaded plans for a pig, a hippo, a tiger, a lady bug, and a panda. Reading the reviews is helpful. I couldn't find polyfill at the store, so I had to buy a pillow and unstuff it to stuff the turtle. One reviewer suggested just using cottonballs while another said to use pinto beans to make the toy a beanie. I think Iwill try these things on other animals. It stuff with pinto beans, I'll have to do a really tight stitch to close any holes in the fabric. The poly fill stays put inside the turtle pretty good. Also, since i stuffed and then attached his limbs, the stuffing won't fall out of his limbs into his body over time. There are a few good bear patterns i might try. I like the tiger pattern because it looks like a kitten, and I can make cat dolls for my cat lover friends. I could also place atnip, bells and squeakes inside the toys to be used as pet toys. I like that the toys only take about an hour to crochet and maybe an hour to stuff and assemble. a small herd of toys might be nicer than a baby blanket as gifts for people. Now i just need to keep Mandolin away from the toys i'm making for other people. this morning, when she saw the turtle, she told me it says "bibbit." I think I'll make her a frog with a crown i saw after i try all the other patterns out.

anyway, off to fex ex a gift. have a good day.

1 comment:

  1. my mom crocheted. she tried to teach me a few times. we both impatient. me,I wanted to make something right then and there. her,because I was impatient. I still have alot of the stuff she made.

    the turtle looks so cute.


    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete