Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"sorry for your terrible loss"

i was sitting crying over my poor dead kitty, when my guy informed me that one of his kids at school died from cancer today. i felt so petty being sad over my cat after that. i won't be offering up anything beyond "sorry for your terrible loss" because like bert said, there's nothing to really say after that. i don't think parents (good one anyway) ever get over the deep fear that they'll have to bury a child someday. a few months back i took mandolin, my niece and my nephew on a hike in one of the cemeteries my house is i the middle of. my niece was facinated by the infant graves and kept asking me what the babies dies of and why there were so many of them. i could't tell her the first, but the second was easy. we live in a time and place where children are expected to live to be elderly, and when they don't, it's a large shock. I think we're blessed by this, but in another way we're not, because expecting a long life means we're not prepared when life is cut short in childhood. so today i am sad. i am sad because of my dead cat. i am sad that my guy has to go to a funeral for a child he'll miss. i am sad that family will miss that boy for the rest of their lives. i am sad thinking of that mother's pain and fear it could one day be my own. i am sad i don't feel guilty about this, because i grew up thinking that "good people" felt guilt. but i am happy too because my daughter is happy and healthy and gave me a hug and kiss when she saw me crying and said "momma, i mouve you. don't cry. smile."

2 comments:

  1. Oh {{{{Jilly}}}} I have been so preoccupied with my own dying kitty that I did not know you were going through the same thing. I am so very sorry for your loss. Our Yami has curled up in the closet and seems to be waiting to die. I just cannot bring myself to disturb him to drag him to the Vet. I am unsure what would be best, but I know I do not like playing God.

    I am so sorry as well to hear of the death of the child, the student of your husband. Too much sadness. Hug your dear darling daughter and never feel petty about your feelings. They belong to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. orbie, lily curled up and died at home right before we took her to the vet to be put asleep. i am glad she went at home with us where she was happiest rather than taking her away and never really knowing what happened to her like with the dog last year. i feel better now with lily having died at home than i did after taking brandi off to the vet. thanks for the love and support lori, i appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete