Saturday, November 21, 2009

Sketti

My daughter is under weight for her age, and it doesn't help that she lost a lot of weight, she really had no business losing, last week when ill. She ate maybe 2 ounces of yougurt a day for 5 days and that was it. Therefore, when we can get her to eat, we're supposed to get her to eat as much as possible and try and get her to eat fatty foods that are full of protein. She prefers diet yogurt, raw fruit and veggies, which aren't the best weight gaining foods. Sometimes she'll eat cheese or meat, but she doesn't really like breads or most carbs. However, she will eat "sketti" about two times a week. It's one of the foods she'll ask for and I don't feel bad about pumping her full of.

I have meetings Friday afternoons/nights and she has to go with me because babysitters are rare and terribly expensive weekend nights. After the meeting, we usually go to dinner with friends and then maybe shop. Mandolin loves going to the friday meetings because she feels like a big girl and often joins in and shakes her head or claps depending on what the people around her are doing. Tonight we went to a local joint called Olive Branch, like a knock-off Olive Garden with a very different menu. My friend got muscles, i got spaghetti maranara and got Mandolin lasagna (she asked for it and I was hoping she'd be in a cheese mood and pack on some fat). Mandolin decided she wanted "sketti" after all and sat in my lap and ate my dinner for me. I cannot wait for her to be older so she can tell me what she really wants to eat. I think that'll happen when she's about 15 right?

2 comments:

  1. I've never met a person who didn't like sketti.

    My nephew is 8 and is allergic to gluten, so what he can eat is limited. What he WILL eat is even more drastically limited. He's very thin, and my sister and her husband try introducing new foods to him frequently in hopes that something will 'stick'. The kid changes his mind all the time, deciding emphatically that he doesn't like something that he was chowing down on just the week before. It's frustrating his parents to no end, because you cannot force food down a kid's throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, he's living in a great time to be intolerant to gluten, there's all sorts of gluten free things in the grocery store nowadays than there were in the past. i often make gluten free baked goods for my friend's class. she's a teacher at a special school for kids with autism and all of them are on special diets that disallow gluten and other things. I love to bake and they like to eat--it's a good fit. Muffins are one of the rare foods that Mandolin will eat on any given day. good luck with your nephew's food issues. i think every parent has to have a food battle with their kids.

    ReplyDelete