Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gus-Gus

Tonight we went to a no-kill shelter and got a cat. I wanted three things 1) a young cat/kitten that wasn't baby lookiong but wasn't a month from being an adult 2) a male, i'v found boys to be nicer 3) one that didn't look like any of my previous cats. i don't want to replace an old cat with a new one, i wanted a new one.

at shelter number one, they just had a large adoption event, so there were only 4 kitties there. One was being adopted and two looked like a previous cat. Cat number 4 was my gal. I was willing to overlook the male requirement because she was sweet and such a lady. However, this kitty had some kennel cough and I was a little worried that the staff seemed oblivious to the fact that the animal was ill. I just lost one kitty and didn't want to pay all that money for a new one to then have to go to the vet and spend more money and possibly be told that this kitty isn't going to make it. I was sad and the staff weren't very helpful when it came to an ill animal. So, we left and had dinner and then went to shelter #2.

Shelter #2 was full of kitties and all of them were quite vocal that they wanted to come home with me. The staff wouldn't let us hold a cat until we proved that we were in fact taking an animal home with us tonight. I understand why they don't want to open up the cages for people just fooling around, but it took them 20 minutes to get to the opening portion of the event, and we had a hyper 2 year old to calm. After much thought, we got a little guy that's got a white tummy and odd orange patterns on his back that look like targets. He's unlike any cat i've ever seen or owned before, so he fit ALL THREE requirements. I had to fill out more paperwork to adopt the cat than I had to fill out when we bought the house, but after writing a check and promising to take the cat to the vet within thenext week, we were off home.

After much talk between me and Mandolin, we named him Gus, after the fat mouse in the Disney Cinderella movie. Gus was a fat, happy and sweet mouse, and our cat has the makings of a fat, happy, and sweet cat. He's a dude's dude. The other cat (Tubby) who lives with us (but isn't our cat) decided he liked being an only cat right about the time we opened the carrier, but after some hissing and a slap to the head, things look to be calming down. Gus doesn't like the dog I dog-sit and they had some words, but I think they'll work it out in time too. Poor Gus doesn't quite know wht to do about Mandolin, but once she gets ahold of him, he's done for. Tubby's tail still twitches funny after the last time Mandolin got ahold of it.

So, we got a new cat and he's nothing like our Lovely Lily, but that what I wanted and what we needed. As soon as I get a new camera battery (damn you lithium ion batteries!) I will share pictures. I know Bert, if I knew how to use my cell phone camera, I could take a pic with that, but I don't know how to use it, so there's no point in wishing is there?

3 comments:

  1. We had a Gus-Gus when I was growing up! He was big and gray and lazy. I wish you and Gus-Gus all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goody a new kitty to a great home. Katman and Bella have reached a cease fire and the big guy is not letting anyone come between him and his dinner LOL... he also obviously knows the sound of a can opener. I opened tuna and he came a running :) I got a call from the shelter today asking about thier favorite cat so I was glad to report that things had calmed down.

    Good luck with your new Gus Gus and I can't wait to see the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and shame on the shelter for not letting you play with the cats. The poor little things need all the acclimating they can get!

    ReplyDelete