Monday, November 23, 2009

Plans

Well, I was better for a week and now I'm ill again, just in time for the holiday. Thanks god I'm done Christmas shopping.

It was cold and rainy today and I went grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. I got everything except for buttermilk (the store i went to was out) and I need a bundt pan. I think I'm just going to add a cup of milk to some white vinegar instead of hunting down the buttermilk. It's not quite the same, but it'll do.

Thursday's menu:
  • Large salad (spinach, romain hearts, peppers, carrots, celery, various beans and as many other veggies as I can fit in it)
  • 13 lb turkey that i'm going to try and brine. we'll see how it goes.
  • 2 lbs green beans cooked in the pressure cooker (I bought a ham hock to toss in, but a big momma at the store told me to get the pig tail. I refrained).
  • 2 lb pork roast for the non-turkey people (again with the pressure cooker)
  • cranberry, apricot and coorn bread dressing (I'm going to make it in the muffin tin)
  • roasted garlic mashed potatoes (made with chicken broth instead of milk and butter)
  • roasted veggies (sweet onion, red and green peppers, yellow squash, zuccini, garlic, and asparagus)
  • greenbean casserole (the same old thing for people who want it, not me)
  • mac 'n cheese (not for me, I'm not a big fan, so I'm not even making it, it's a bring along)
  • can of cranberry sauce (I HATE the stuff, so I just buy the can and hope it's magically gone)
  • onion gravey made from turkey drippings
  • beef gravey from the jar for the MIL who is allergic to all thing poultry
  • brown n serve rolls (I don't eat them, so I didn't bother with homemade
  • pumpkin spice cake with cool whip topping (I dislike most pies and didn't want to bother with making 2-3 when one cake would do)

Notice how everything was done with me in mind or someone else made it? That's a great Thanksgiving for me. Word spread that my family was't coming and some other people asked to come instead. We have an open house policy that anyone who wants to eat can come on by as long as they behave.

After dinner, the womenfolk are all going to take a long walk in the cemeteries and let the menfolk clean up. I usually get roped into the planning, housecleaning, shopping, cooking and cleanup. "Not this year" is my mantra.

What are you going to eat/do for Thursday?

5 comments:

  1. No golf. So Liz is thankful.

    This year it's just Liz, me, Roby, Andrew and Liz's mom. Smallest Thanksgiving since I married Liz. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael ordered dinner to be cooked by one of the local restaurants--all I know is there will be some turkey--everything else is a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we used to get dinner made already (sigh) no such luck these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making a ton of stuff! Wow. I'm making turkey (17.76 pounds) with bread/celery/onion stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and pie. My mom is bringing something cranberry (gosh I love cranberry anything and a sweet potato dish) and my grandma is bringing creamed onions and rolls. We're having a small group. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya know... I can't believe it is YOU doing all the hosting. I spent 20 some years doing the same when I was married... and when you have babies in diapers and aren't well to do... it's hard. I think back and wonder why others didn't step up. Jilly, you are one amazing woman and I don't think you get told that quite often enough.

    My sister cooked this year and doesn't have much experience even tho she's in her 40s (yet the dinner was great), LOL she called me yesterday and said, I understand this bag of giblets.. but what's this big DICK-looking thing inside the turkey, what do I do with that? I said, "IDIOT! It's the neck." and we laughed until we wet our pants.

    Hope yours was wonderful.

    Doreen

    ReplyDelete