Thursday, June 17, 2010

pizza, sorta

i've tried just about every "sorta" pizza recipe out there and a lot of already made diet pizzas too. none of it really matches the real thing. it's not the sauce or toppings, it's the dough and cheese. recently i had a friend tell me to use a portabella mushroom and do this:

broil it for 2 mins, take out of oven and fill with 1/4c sauce (i used super chunky extra veggie sauce) and then cover it with 1 pc provolone cheese ( i used reduced fat) and broil it again for 4 mins. I also tossed in 1/2 a thing of asparagus b/c i love broiled asparagus and it doesn't keep long.

it was the closest thing to real pizza i've found. take notice that i've used tortillas of all sorts, na'an, english muffins, sandwhich flats, wraps, various prename and hommemade low fat and high fiber whole wheat crusts etc. they're all okay, but rather skimpy and not a good break substitute.

the mushrooms weren't bread like at all, and i love the taste of mushrooms, which is very obvious, BUT the cheese was toasty and gooey and the sauce was warm and didn't squish out of run through the "bread" or wasn't too crunchy. i prefer thin crust pizza that's a little crunchy, but a lot of the "diet" breads are TOO crunchy and it's like eating a pizza made out of a wheat thin, not bread.

this mushroom base was a lot like having a deep dish pizza, without any of the guilt and very little fat.

Dinner took me less than 10 mins and it was a big hit. I can see myself doing this again but using the grill.

i think this might even be safe for the low carbers.

8 comments:

  1. that does sound good. Even I, who hates cooked veggies, loves portabella mushrooms and grills 'sparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love asparagus but don't like mushrooms. sounds yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of it. I know, I'm missing pizza too, since I'm trying to be a good little diabetic, and pizza is, well, not a good food for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear just a slice can send a diabetic's sugar through through the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MelissaTheRagamuffinJune 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM

    *Running to the store to buy portabella mushrooms and other fixings*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Depends on the diabetic, Catz, but definitely too much bread to be good for one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound good and would definitely be low carbish. You could even put some meat in there like some ground turkey and I bet it would be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought portobella caps to try this for lunch.

    ReplyDelete