Friday, June 11, 2010

other side

i love the works of lm montgomery. i read her stuff as a child and saw the shoes etc. i've recently started making my way through them again and all i can say is what a difference 20 years makes. i used to feel so terrible for anne and now i understand the adult viewpoint and catch the meanings so well from the other side. i understand why people were "mean" etc. this is why lm montgomery's works are found in children, young adult, and adult literature sections. they really can appeal to all ages.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know that I've heard of this series, Jilly. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of it but never read it. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Jilly's talking about Anne of Green Gables :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. rosa, well those and her other works, some of which include the anne character and some of which don't. the chronicles and futher chronicles as well as the doctor's lover are loosely tied, meaning every so often, one of the characters will mention someone from the anne or emily series. the woman wrote a lot of stuff, some of which wasn't published until after her death, and that includes several decades of personal correspondance and journals. i wouldn't know what to do with myself if i had to keep house like in the late 1800s/early 1900s, help my husband run a busy church and community, raise children, write, tour and promote, and then keep up with personal correspondance and journaling. Just the thought of washing the laundry like they did back then has me wanting to cry, and then adding all of that on top of it! it makes me remember how lucky i am to have appliances and electricity.

    ReplyDelete