Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lovely and Lumpy


I went to the OBGYN today for my well woman's exam. The woman was nice and I remember meeting her when I was pregnant and swollen and visiting the office three times a week. After performing the exam, she turned to me and said " we need to talk. you have lumpy breasts." It took a moment for me to think of an appropriate response. I'm ashamed to say that all I could think of was saying "thanks." I mean, is there an appropriate response to that conversation starter?

I'm not overly worried about my lumpy breasts because I check them every month and have never felt anything out of the ordinary. She was very surprised when I told her that I actually check myself out and wished more women spent a few minutes doing it. I told her my friend Jean had breast cancer and had to go through hell to get the proper diagnosis and then to recover from BC and that was motivation enough for me. So, here I sit with my thankful but lumpy breasts happy that all of that business is over for another year.

2 comments:

  1. There was a movie or a book where the heroine was nick-named "lumpy." It's driving me crazy that I can't ... Aha! It was "Scrooged"! That was karen what's-her-face's nick-name for Bill Murray's character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my family history and two biopsies behind me I'm downright compulsive about doing my self exams.

    ReplyDelete