Saturday, May 1, 2010

toy hippo







------------------------------------------
i made this hippo toy for my sister for her 30th birthday. she loves the hippo from the madagascar movie. it took me about 6 hours over 3 days. it's a lot bigger than i expected. the problem with making toys is the details. they give wonderful instractions about HOW to make the parts but then for the assembly, there is usually one line that reads "stuff pieces and set them together so it looks like the pitcure" easier said than done. my pieces never really look like the ones in the pattern ads, but i'm usually happy with them anyway.

mandolin's holding the hippo to show you the size, the hippo alone and there is a pic of "their" hippo. I had to get very creative with the clothing because their directions were incorrectly sized and they left out a crutial step in the skirt. Oh, and i put a bow and shoes on mine because i felt like it.

6 comments:

  1. very adorable! so cute. and your daughter is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandolin's so cute. The hippo's cute too. you make such cute toys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that hippo looks pretty big! I wish I knew how to knit, crochet, or sew, but my last foray into that sort of thing showed me that I can't sew a straight line with a sewing machine.

    Mandolin is gorgeous, and it looks like she is getting tall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. neither can I. my mother tried showing me many times. we were both impatient. kudos to those who are talented in that department. They make beautiful things

    ReplyDelete
  5. I halter top on a hippo. I think I have lived long enough to see every thing now.

    Ded

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. I enjoy seeing others enjoy hand made items.

    ReplyDelete