Tuesday, March 23, 2010

good man

I was reminded today what a good man I have. Back in the fall, we were deeply saddened to hear that one of my guy's students had passed away from cancer. This was a nice young man who had suffered from brain cancer for three years. My husband had had his older brother (who is currently in his 3rd year at college). The school asked the community to help pay for the funeral costs, as most people do not take out life insurance on their children and funerals are expensive. We did what we could and gave what we could for the family. I felt terrible for this woman. My husband had the eldest son during his first year of teaching. The kid was acting out and cried a lot in class. Worried, my husband arranged his first ever parents-teacher conference. The mother explained that her husband was about to die from brain cancer and it was hard to deal with her sons. They were in all sorts of grief counseling, but things were hard. When the husband was diagnosed, they said he'd be just fine, but after 8 years, they were waiting for him to die. I can't imagine being 14 and all I ever knew bout my dad revolved around watching him die. Not too long after the father passed away, the youngest son was diagnosed with the same cancer, except there weren't any "you'll be fines" attached. They pretty much knew he was going to die and spent 3 years waiting for it to happen.

Recently, this woman contacted my guy. She confessed to him that at least once a day, she finds herself breaking down and thinking that she can't go on. After losing her youngest child and husband within 5 years, she's decided to go after her dreams. She's back in school and can't use a computer at ALL. She remembered my guy, and made an appointment to see him and went and asked for his help so she can get through school. What did he do? He helped her. This man is busy between working, PhD school, working more, owning our business, grading papers, and lesson plans etc. But part of him said "screw that" and he took precious time he barely has to help a woman at her wits end. I'm amazed that she thought of my guy, but happy she did. I'd like to think that if my guy wasn't around, and i reached out to someone for help, they'd help me too.

5 comments:

  1. He's definitely a good egg, Jilly, even if he couldn't understand why chaperoning a prom wasn't celebrating your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sweet. That woman will remember his kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does he have a brother? :)

    Ded

    ReplyDelete