Monday, April 11, 2011

24 hours

I've been awake roughly 24+ hours. I am hot, tired, filthy, and happy (but still worried).

My dad had heart bypass surgery this today at Hopkins. He's currently in ICU pretty much tied to a bed with a tube down his throat, but he's doing well. In about 2-3 hours, he'll come off the ventilator and by tomorrow night, sitting in a chair. If all keeps going well, then he'll be out of the ICU on Wed and into a recovery room.

The staff at the hospital have been the loveliest people around. The Doctors joked with us about beer in the blood coolers and other such nonsense. It's been very hot since Sunday, after being very cold last week.

When you think of all the crap going on, it's nice to see people who always see crap but STILL take the time to make things easier for people who are all under stress.

My FIL has been an absolute gem and has come up to my house to sit with MissM for 8-9 hour stretches so that I can be there for my parents. She's been awesome in that she's being a good girl.

I hope you NEVER have to see a loved one strapped to a bed on a ventilator, it's scary and shocking.

Many people today took the time to make the day easier for others and that was refreshing. One woman was in the waiting room and her cell phone died. The other families and staff hunted until they found a phone charger for her so she could call her family at the hotel and keep them updated.

People from all over the world go to Hopkins looking (and often finding) and miracle after doctors other places have turned them away or failed them. I am humbled that this operation has been a relatively smooth process.

It was also terribly sad to watch the young children waiting for surgery and procedures. The Peds surgery unit was next to the unit my dad was in. I hope to never have to take my daughter to the Peds unit at any hospital.

4 comments:

  1. Hope your father has an uneventful recovery and is back to his old/new self soon. This sort of thing is hard on the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will think good thoughts for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope your dad is up and about soon with a good recovery.

    I went through the vent thing with my mother and father.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete