Monday, January 17, 2011

hottlanta

i'm going to atlanta in june b/c my guy has to go and i want to go somewhere warm damnit. if we fly, it'll be just the two of us, but if we drive, we'll bring the kid.

I want to see/plan to see:
the aquarium
the botanical gardens
stone mountain

if i have time:
Martin Luther king jr's house etc.
the Carter museum
the kid's museum (if we bring the kid)

there's also a tour of CNN and Coke which seem like good emergency back-up plans like if it rains the day i want to go to the botanical garden.

we're staying at a nice hotel that's near the aquarium, so i know that's a done deal.
There's also a kangaroo breeding place that looks good for the kid. The Columbus zoo has a herd of kangaroos that MissM loved. they're in a giant walled in and covered garden there and you walk around amongst them. MissM asked a zookeeper if she could ride a kangaroo and he got very pissy . WTf does he expect out of a 3yo anyway?

this is the bright spot on my horizon as my sister and her kids are moving to St Louis soon and I won't see my niece or nephew for a very long time. This winter has sucked ass so far oh god and we're just starting TAX SEASON.

2 comments:

  1. Atlanta in June? Warm? BWHAHAHAHA. Honey, it's not only hot but humid. Just bring lots of sunscreen, a large hat, and bottles and bottles of water.

    Your planned places to see sounds just right-but if you bring MissM, be sure to take her to play in the water at Centennial Park with her bathing suit. It'll be hot enough and you'll enjoy the spray :)

    I've not been to the Aquarium, but the Botanical Gardens are wonderful; they have a new sky bridge that gives you an overview of the gardens (I think). Also consider Fernbank Science Center-lots of really cool stuff-even a stuffed possum (at least it was there several years ago).

    If you drive or rent a car and have time, consider a trip to Calloway Gardens, well worth the drive down I-85 for the most gorgeous gardens. Also, if MissM comes, there is a place in Locust Grove (about 40 miles S. of Atlanta via I-75) called Noah's Ark. They take in animals that apparently no one else can care for and they might have a petting area where she MAY can ride a kangaroo.

    Stone Mountain is just more than I can tell you-be sure to stay for the laser show if you can. And check out the carving on the side. You can also walk up the mountain, but since I've never done that I can't advise, but keep in mind that it IS the largest exposed granite whatever.

    I've been to World of Coca-Cola and it's way cool. Margaret Mitchell's house is also open and Joel Harris Chandler's Wren's Nest is open for tours (I think).

    I'm sure I've left out something you must see-LOL-and if I can think of it, I'll let you know. Anyway, this should get you started :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great line up. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete