Monday, October 4, 2010

my place

so tonight i went to my monday night prayer shawl group and most of us showed up, but our fearless leader had something else to do. We thought about where we could go (since her office was out of the question) and I said "you know that room upstairs, the pretty blue one with the lovely couches? I like that room." the other women looked at me and their faces lit up. We'd found our spot.

this room was decorated by someone with a lot of good taste and talent. She took all the donated stuff at the church and painted, re-finished, re-covered and just re-did it all to create a beautiful peaceful parlor for all the women's circles to meet in. The room is mostly white with shades of blue scattered about and it's the room i'd have if someone said "what would you like jilly?"

It's got 2 sofas, a love seat, two squishy chairs, a small piano, end tables and a lovely coffee table. There are mirrors on the walls that were tiled to match the tiled table. The flower arrangements and drapes are subtle and tasteful. It's not at all like being in a doctor's office or hotel. It's like being in your own home when you're in this room. We had a great time in it and the other women cofessed that they too felt like they were home in this room. I thought they'd make fun of me for liking this room so much, but they didn't, they understood.

i dream of having a room like this in my own home. A room where I can just go and sit and crochet, maybe have a fire in the fireplace and just let all the junk go. a family room/living room/den has never been that for me. I'm not a big TV fan and would rather listen to music or the radio than watch TV, but i do like listening to documentaries while crocheting if the TV must be on. i like the sound of silence, and i like order. Very little in my house is ordered or silent currently, and it's not from my lack of trying.

if i could, i'd take pictures of this room and put them aside for one day, when my house is nearly empty, so i can have my room. for today, i'll just have to borrow the one at the church and hare it with all the other women who want a room too and hope to find the woman who made that room and thank her, because it's looking like it'll be years before i can have my own place here.

1 comment:

  1. I can just picture it.

    I, too, have a love of silence and peace. For me, it's our living room. While I get plenty of "spillover" noise from the TV in the family room, at least there is nothing electronic in my living room. Just plants, a piano and some comfy seating.

    I hope you are able to create your dream room some day!

    ReplyDelete