Friday, September 24, 2010

Normal, well according to the BMI

I got weighed today and found out that I weigh exactly 154 lbs, which at 5'6" tall means my BMI is 24.9 making me a NORMAL weight and roughly 9lbs from the end goal I set myself at the beginning of weight loss. I felt happy and sorta silly too. It's nice to say "Hello, I'm NORMAL" but really, does it matter? Fireworks didn't go off, no one around me noticed that I'm "normal" now. They saw the same me they see every day. But I like the idea of going to the dr and not being tolld "well, you could lose 5 lbs" or anything like that.

During this past year or so that I've been working on weight loss, I've given myself little treats when I hit specific goals. I'd get a pedicure or a new workout DVD or outfit for # and non # goals to celebrate making progress. Sometimes a # victory isn't as important as fitting into something that didn't fit before, or getting hit on when you weren't expecting it and should be celebrated too. The silliest thing I celebrated was when my official weight was LESS than what my driver's license stated it was, especially since I didn't lie on my DL when I had it renewed.

Someone recently asked me what I was going to do for THE BIG V and I had no idea. I'll probably hit the big one sometimes during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season and that being the case, I decided that for every pound I lost I will donate one pound of food to my local food bank. I'm not going to donate the food no one wants either, but the same type of food that I eat and that is good, like brown rice, legumes, pasta sauce, chicken broth etc. I talked to my guy about it, and he thought that was a good idea to celebrate. I could buy myself a nice gift or take a small trip, but I've done a lot for myself (especially losing weight) and it's time I did a little something for the people around me that need a little something. My sister told me to adopt a family for Thansgiving and go talk to them and tell them why I'm donating a meal, but I don't know if I want to be THAT hands on.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats, Jilly! and the pound for pound to the food bank is a great way to celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be a little weird and very uncomfortable to tell an adopted family about your weight loss. But I do like the idea of food donation. I'm very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tree, that's what I thought! "Hey, I've lost 2/3 of a super model so I bought you dinner, eat up!" It's just weird. Also, I don't want to be thanked for being a decent person. People go through a rough patch and who knows, I could one day depend on a free meal from someone else. I just want to give a little back, even if no one knows it was me beyond me. I don't need a thank-you note or my picture in the paper as a local hero.

    You know, I actually hate talking about my weight loss in social situations and have started not mentioning it to people who didn't know me before unless they become big time food pushers. I said something once, and now all the other women in the group are afraid to eat around me, as if I'm judging them. I just want to meet for our monthly meeting and eat my own lunch and they eat theirs without ant cattiness about food. I don't care what they eat, as long as they leave me alone about what I'm eating. Also, I feel like if I plan an indulgence and they're around, they're going to jump in and say something about old habbits" or something. People in my family do that. If I know that on friday i'm going to have cake, I have all week to work extra hard with my work out and eating properly so that the cake does't really matter by friday. They don't get that.

    One person recently accused me of being ashamed of myself b/c I don't mention it to new people. I was blown away. My dad's a recovering alcoholic and he doesn't tell everyone he meets that he used to get drunk every day until he passed out, why should I tell people my ass used to be huge?

    In the end, people are going to assume an djudge. I think I look great, but last week a man told me he thought I was too fat to run. That made me snort b/c I've been running for months. Can i do a half marathon? no! so i look good while doing it? heck no! am i fast? nope. I trott along at the pace i can go for the specified length and then walk. But I CAN do it and I DO do it, even if he though that I was too fat to do it. I snorted because he saw a fat woman and I saw a woman wearing a size 4/6 and smaller and almost 2/3 of the country. I'm glad I laughed him off.

    ReplyDelete